None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Swine Flu - the next pandemic

Go down

post Swine Flu - the next pandemic

Post by Oblada on Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:23 pm

U.S. confirms swine flu-related death in Texas

The 23-month-old child died at a Houston hospital Monday evening.

Houston health official David Persse said the child first fell ill while visiting relatives in Brownsville, Texas, more than two weeks ago.

"This child is a resident of Mexico who travelled to Brownsville, Texas, to visit family," Persse said at a news conference Wednesday morning.

"It was there, in Brownsville, where the child first became ill and was taken to hospital."

The child was admitted to a Brownsville hospital on April 13, and transferred to a Houston hospital the next day, he said.

Persse said the surviving family members are "asymptomatic" and not suffering from exposure to the swine flu virus at this point.

Dr. Richard Besser, acting director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, confirmed the child's death from swine flu on Wednesday.

Besser told CTV's Canada AM that it is likely that the U.S. will see further deaths from swine flu, as the illness spreads.

"We will expect to see more severe cases and I will expect to see more deaths," he said.

The child is believed to be the first person to die of swine flu outside of Mexico.

U.S. President Barack Obama said he wanted to convey his "thoughts and prayers" to the family of the young flu victim.

And he said U.S. citizens "should know" the government is doing everything it can to contain the swine flu threat.

Besser said authorities are still trying to determine why the majority of swine flu cases outside of Mexico have been much milder than where the virus was first identified.

Besser said authorities are now working to limit the impact of swine flu as best they can.

"When you have a new strain of infectious disease in a small, isolated area, you can talk about trying to contain," Besser said.

"When you have a disease that's already spread beyond one country's borders, or even within a country beyond a small region, you talk about what can you do to reduce the impact on people's health."

Obama said it may be necessary to close some schools if confirmed swine flu infections are identified.

He said public health officials have recommended "that schools with confirmed cases ... should consider closing if the situation becomes more serious."

DUN DUN DUN. Also it's officially in phase 5 now.

CNN:

GENEVA, Switzerland (CNN) -- The World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to 5, its second-highest level Wednesday, indicating the outbreak of swine flu that originated in Mexico is nearing widespread human infection.

Google Map of swine flu cases
Oblada

Back to top Go down

post Re: Swine Flu - the next pandemic

Post by krzyasian on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:33 pm

There was a case in Massachusetts where I live :o

Edit: the face is not supposed to look like a happy face -_-

i meant more like " :shock: "

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by kimbeurkly on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:32 pm

A few schools back in connecticut were closed :/
kimbeurkly

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:42 pm

Be careful Ann, Leslie and Kat!! lol there's also a case in NZ, if it's passed to China, it's gonna be massive with the number of people here and the speed of spreading D:

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:48 pm

I don't remember how many cases are in Canada (I think between 10 and 20)? But they're all on either the west coast or the east coast, and I live in the center.

They're gonna close in on us!
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:52 pm

lol, don't worry Tiff, you can lock yourself at home, especially now that you have your new labtop!! horrah Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann on Sat May 02, 2009 11:18 pm

I'm not too worried about the swine flu :/

I think the media is blowing this way out of proportion...

Back to top Go down

Post by Shinobiyui on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:37 am

im not really scared of the swine flu even though NJ ha it and my county has the most I`m still not scared lol.
Shinobiyui

Back to top Go down

Post by krzyasian on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 am

I'm afraid to cough in front of HK ppl here xD It's all over the TV... "How to prevent spreading of diseases" etc etc. I have a cold, I think *DUNDUNDUN* from it being too hot...or something.

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum