In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Nice things strangers have done for you

Go down

post Nice things strangers have done for you

Post by Oblada on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:55 am

What are they? I'm sure there are non-indifferent people out there.

I remember after I crashed my mom's car, I was walking towards a convenience store to use the payphone, and this woman drives by and asks if I needed a ride lol. I said no thanks because I was going to get someone to come get me. She kept asking me if I was sure, and I assured that I was. I thought it was really sweet of her, because she had her elementary school aged son in the car and she was probably driving him to school. Oh yeah, and like 5 minutes later, she comes into the convenience store to look for me and confirm that I really didn't need a ride / someone was going to pick me up. <3 Pretty sure she has good karma.

At work, almost EVERYONE is really friendly. I'll walk by people I've never met before and they'll all smile and say good morning. Haha that makes me happy.

At the gym, I tend to have trouble loading the bar when I'm doing deadlifts, and one time this guy just went and loaded my bar for me. Haha.

Edit: I thought of another one. One time, I had to catch a bus at 6:00 in the morning 'cause I had an exam at 8:30 (it takes like an hour and a half to get to school by bus). It was also FREEZING, something like 40 below with windchill, and the buses were running late. This guy drives by and asks if I want a ride. I told him I was okay and that my bus was going to come in 5 minutes, and he asks if I'm sure it's coming and reminds me that it's freezing. I swear it took me like 3 minutes to convince him that I was going to be okay. Okay I admit it could have been either really nice or really sketchy of him. I remember at one point, he said something like, "you look like you're freezing, babe". o.0
Oblada

Back to top Go down

post Re: Nice things strangers have done for you

Post by iliketobite on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

Lol @ the last one cause I was thinking more sketchy xD and the thing about people you don't know smiling and saying good morning to you at work reminds me of when i moved to the town I'm currently living in. When I first moved here and was walking in the streets minding my own business, pretty much every person I crossed paths with smiled and said "Hello" to me. Coming from a ghetto town, my initial reaction was "Was s/he talking to me? I don't know him/her... This is weird..." haha. Then I appreciated it after I realized people are capable of just being nice to strangers =)

Nothing really sticks out to me right now. Well actually, today I went to return a wallpaper steamer machine to Home Depot (my sister needed to use it to tear down the wallpaper at her new house) and it was pretty freakin heavy. So I brought it in the store and this old man who worked there greeted me and asked me if I needed help. I asked him where returns for tool rentals were, and it so happened to be allllll the way at the opposite end, hahaha. So then he told me to give him the machine, and he put it in a shopping cart and gave it to me, and I was so thankful hahah. I wouldn't have been able to lift it that high (hmm Tiff maybe you couldve given me your muscle strength ;P) so I was grateful but I was also kind of shocked since he was an old guy (maybe late 50s early 60s?).
iliketobite

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:51 pm

everyone at work is really friendly here too, they'll smile, say hello, how are you etc.. as long as you don't know the inside stories, it's a happy place lol

lol doesn't sound like the guy has good intentions.

Here's a few I can think of

1. I lost my coat belt once, it matches with the coat and I couldn't tie my coat without it, and I can't replace it anywhere, so I was desperate enough to run around and search in the bin because I thought I chucked it out with the trash. This guy across the street saw me and yelled out 'hey, do you need money?' and he was getting his wallet out lol. I told him i'm fine, but he's like, are you sure? do you need money? what are you looking for etc. It was embarrassing enough to look through the bin lol, it was worse telling him that I'm doing all these just to find a belt lol, he was like 'a belt.. hmmm o.O'.. but yea that was very nice of him offering help when I looked really desperate.

2. I was waiting for the light once, you know how if the street nearby turns green, when people hear the buzz, everyone has the intention to cross? yeah well I did that for like a fraction of a second, but I realized the light is still red, and this guy behind me panicked and totally grabbed my shoulder and yelled 'nooo' hahaha. Everyone was looking at him with a grin lol, he felt pretty stupid.. but I appreciated it lol.

That reminds me I had so many stories from my last job, I'm not sure if they count as 'strangers' since I talked to them hmm

Back to top Go down

Post by iliketobite on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 pm

LOL!! Aw those are such cute stories Shelly :3 I wish stuff like that happened to me, lol. I feel like the strangers in Boston aren't very nice... like that would probably rarely happen here -___- we're not called Massholes for nothin' =/
iliketobite

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:06 pm

Massholes? hahah I'm sure it's not that bad..

hey we should have a 'nice things you've done for strangers' board too!!

oh oh here's another one!

my bus, is the worst one in Sydney, never on time, ever! This once after work, I was really chasing the bus for like a whole stage so I didn't have to wait for another 35min. I almost touched the bus when the driver decided to shut the door and they were about to go! These guys were sitting outside a pub (right opposite the bus stop) saw me reaching out my hand and they were yelling for me 'hey stop HEYYYY STOP' and one of them went up to the door and about to bang on the window, but the bus left anyway. This guy offered to pay for my taxi lol but I declined, that was very nice of them but I still waited for the bus for another half an hour in the rain lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:26 pm

everyone at work is really friendly here too
But you work in a pretty small office yeah? I guess I'm just not used to seeing that here. In the last two office buildings I worked in, everyone just minded their own business, didn't really acknowledge people. But here, everyone is super friendly. lol.

and yeah, I agree with Leslie. People in Sydney sound really nice! I'm guessing it's not a very fast paced city? I imagine cities like New York City would be full of assholes.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:03 am

yea my office is pretty small, but we have lots of staff on the boats and we work with 8 other operators on the same wharf so I see them all the time lol

well I thought Sydney's fast paced.. but I guess not as much as NYC, I met a lady from CA the other day and she was admiring how small my bag was lol, she said they carry suitcases to work and never get the chance to rest or holiday, and always work over time with no pay.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:36 pm

haha I live in Cary, so everyone is nice down here lol. After all, Cary is voted #16 as the best city to live in the US.

So today I was working and I was putting on a screen protector for this old dude's cellphone. The screen protector costs 3.99 and I am not trying to brag, but I did a pretty darn good job of putting it on haha. So after I'm done, he tried to give me a tip of 5 dollars lol which I thought was pretty generous of him, since the tip was more than the screen protector itself lol too bad I didnt take it
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:12 pm

that's nice of him! All my tips went into the boss's pocket -_-; it sucks because the tips will come back together with the float money, and if you take from the float money then that's stealing psh

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:00 pm

lol that suckkkks. My friend used to work at Cold Stone ( ice cream parlor ) and every time he receives a tip he has to sing a song hahaha
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by iliketobite on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:35 pm

After all, Cary is voted #16 as the best city to live in the US.

Forreal?! Do you agree Jack? I want to move to a nice place when I graduate, but I still dont know where to go. I was thinkign of California too, but after hearing that thing about what the lady said bout working overtime with no pay and stuff, maybe I'll reconsider lol. I wonder what the #1 best place to live in USA is.

Hahha aw, that stinks Shelly. Yeah, they consider a lot of things "stealing" at my work too. Like if you take a pen (you know, those random ones with the company's name on it that just lies around the counters.. not the ones you sell) you're supposed to ask if you can take it first. So I always do ask anyway just in case. And everytime I ask, whoever is working is like You don't have to ask... seriously?! lol.
iliketobite

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:26 pm

lol I'd rather sing a song than not receiving my tips at all

I want to move to us too!! =( too bad I can't ever be a resident there.

a pen? lol that's just so sad, how much is that gonna cost them.. but again, my boss force us to use recycle papers, which jam the printer all the time, and they had to spend like a thousand bucks replacing it hahahah

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack on Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:00 am

[quote="iliketobite"]
Forreal?! Do you agree Jack?

Yea lol Cary really is a nice place to live. There are many job opportunities because of the Research Triangle Park, SAS, and EPA nearby. Reputable universities nearby are Duke, UNC, and NCState. As far as crime goes, Cary is voted as #3 safest city in America hah.
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down