None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Suggestions for a new laptop?

Go down

post Suggestions for a new laptop?

Post by waveshell on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm thinking of getting a new laptop, I need large rams, the more the better

I was going to get mac notebook, but I don't think a lot of the softwares are compatible with it, I'm buying a new one mainly to install music softwares, they'll take a lot of rams, so any suggestions?

Last edited by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

post Re: Suggestions for a new laptop?

Post by Oblada on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:41 am

Any laptop will do. You can always upgrade your RAM; it's fairly cheap. I bought my laptop off the Dell website. They let you customize your laptop; add more RAM as required. Maybe you can do that? It's kind of futile to suggest a laptop because 1.) we're not in the same location and 2.) laptops are constantly being upgraded.

Alternatively, you can just buy more RAM for your current laptop. Like I said, RAM is relatively cheap. How much RAM do you have?
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm

my current one is 1gig Ram, I need at least 4, preferably 8-16gig, I was told I need a 64bit laptop.. that might narrow my options down a little since I believe not every laptop can be upgraded to 8-16gig??

Last edited by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:16 pm

Right click on My Computer and see if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system. You'll need a 64-bit operating system if you want your computer to detect more than 3 gigs of RAM. You can always upgrade your operating system actually.

So one option is to buy a whole new laptop, and the other option is to upgrade your operating system (if it's not 64 bit) and upgrade your RAM.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:30 am

Right click on My Computer and see if it's a 32-bit or 64-bit operating system.
It doesn't say there.. I tried Display Setting Properties and the high I can choose is 32bit? Anyway I think mine's 32bit, so how do I upgrade to 64bit? I checked the upgrade parts section in dell's website, but it doesn't have my model, Dell Vostro 1400

http://accessories.ap.dell.com/sna/DellPartsFamily.aspx?c=au&cs=audhs1&l=en&manufact=694&s=dhs&stype=2&family=Vostro%20Laptops

how much do they normally cost, any ideas? I'd rather upgrade if it's within a few hundred dollars.. but I remember that my laptop only has 2x 1gig slots for ram, so the maximum I could have is 2gig? or maybe it's because my system is 32bit that's why they told me 2gig was the max?

oh and uh do you think it's safe to buy rams on ebay or other selling/trading sites? Are there fakes? or should I get it from the official site?

p.s. omg I just realized I've been typing laBtop hahaha

Back to top Go down

Post by han on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 am

32-bits system can only support up to 4gb ram (video ram included), for more you would need a 64-bit system. then you will also need a 64-bit OS, win7 is good, it ships with both 32 and 64 bit. Also, most softwares are designed for the 32-bit OS, running them on 64-bit might actually be slower.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions

two things to check for your lappy:
1. your motherboard needs to be able to support more than 4gb ram. If not, it's better to get a new laptop instead. to check motherboard model:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
2. your processor needs to be 64-bit capable, to check download this program: http://www.grc.com/securable.htm

*apparently your lappy's motherboard has a 4gb limit.
http://www.upgradecomputermemory.com/ram.cfm/memory/D/Dell-Memory/VostroNotebooks/Vostro1400
is your laptop running slow? Doing a reformat and upgrading to win7 might help Smile
han

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:17 am

Also, most softwares are designed for the 32-bit OS, running them on 64-bit might actually be slower.
And some software have 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Obviously if you have a 64-bit OS, you would install the 64-bit version of the software.

I haven't noticed any slow running programs though; have you? I upgraded from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7 though; and Vista was kind of slow.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by han on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:13 am

yup, all my programs are running pretty much the same. but I did notice that my winrar extract huge rar files faster now
han

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:15 pm

oh wow thanks Han. That sounds uber complicated with 32bit and 64bit D:

My laptop was alright until I installed avg virus check, now it's really slow.. woa the link you posted has really cheap ram memories! The 2gig one on dell's website is like $95+

I think win7 will slow it down even more, I heard it requires more ram..

maybe I'll just upgrade my ram to 4gig for now and see how it goes! Softwares these days just takes up more and more room don't they!

well thanks for all your help! very useful indeed Gift

Back to top Go down

Post by han on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:43 pm

win7 runs faster then vista on the same machine i think. i never used vista, ask Tiff
han

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:57 pm

I don't like vista actually haha

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Yeah, Windows 7 runs faster than Vista. A LOT FASTER. It's very noticeable. I only have 3 gigs of RAM too.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:43 pm

only 3 gig -_-, I was so stupid, when I got my laptop, they asked me if I wanted to upgrade and I said 1gig should be fine, who knows softwares are getting bigger and bigger and even websites take much more ram than some years ago =(

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:25 am

Lol well I'm just saying, 3 gigs is a lot less than what you're planning to upgrade to. If 3 gigs is fine for me, then it should definitely be fine for 4-8 gigs.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by han on Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:14 am

you only have 1gig on your laptop? you could upgrade to 4 gig, would definitely see improvement, much cheaper than getting a new laptop too.
han

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:13 am

You need a 64-bit operating system to use 4 gigs of RAM. 3 gigs would be the most you could upgrade to with your current OS.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:06 am

I spoke with my dad, he suggests me buying a new one instead lol, so I think I'm gonna upgrade this one to the maximum, then get a new one that can be upgraded to 8gig or something.. sigh money money money

Back to top Go down

Post by han on Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 am

time to go shopping then

i like Dell & Asus laptops Razz
han

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Why would you upgrade your current computer and then buy a new one??? Question
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:38 pm

yea I love Dell too, I'm a loyal Dell customer, never used other computers hahah.

I don't mind having 2 computers, one specifically for the big softwares music/graphics, another one just for daily use.. if one crashes lol I still have a backup

hey do you guys always use computers until they crash and can't be fixed? Mine's been quite a few years, maybe it is time to replace it? =/ but it's working just fine, just a little small on ram that's all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:59 pm

lol 4 gigs would be plenty of ram and i think it is enough cuz i run photoshop, movies, starcraft 2, firefox, music, videos, skype, and many other stuff all at once lol but if u get 6 or 8 gig ram, i guess ur ahead of the game for at least 2 years lol
Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:51 pm

yea I know 4 gig is a lot, if it's just for my daily use, 2gig is more than enough.. but music softwares are really large, esp if I'm running 2-3 at the same time! haha and I wouldn't mind staying ahead of the game!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down