In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 19 on Tue May 15, 2012 8:09 pm

Touchpad vs. Mouse

Go down

post Touchpad vs. Mouse

Post by Oblada on Fri May 01, 2009 9:58 pm

For those of you with a laptop, which one do you usually use?

I've used a mouse almost exclusively up till now, but I'm trying to practice with the touchpad so that I won't have to carry a mouse around. lol I see people being really speedy and efficient with the touchpad, while I am suuuper slow. So I am practicing! Haha. What about you guys?
Oblada

Back to top Go down

post Re: Touchpad vs. Mouse

Post by mrsvixen on Fri May 01, 2009 10:08 pm

touchpad all the way.

I hate mouse.
mrsvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Fri May 01, 2009 10:38 pm

Okay, what are some tips and techniques you'd like to share? I use my right index finger to navigate myself around, but... is there a more efficient way? lol.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by krzyasian on Fri May 01, 2009 11:57 pm

hm... interesting discussion (cuz im a computer obsessor lol).

I havent used a mouse in a looonnnggg time. And when I do, its for short periods of time.

so, a touchpad usually has two buttons on the button as left and right mouse keys; I use my middle finger for the pad so that I can use my thumb to get to the left/right keys below and my hand is more relaxed that way.

For the mac, you can scroll down pages using two fingers on pad and moving them up/down, so i usually have my middle finger on the pad as default to navigate the mouse around the page, and when i need to scroll i put my index finger on the pad and just move that to go up and down a page.

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Sat May 02, 2009 12:31 am

Do you use one hand or two hands? So when you say you use your middle finger for the pad and your thumb for the buttons, is the thumb on the same hand? lol.

This is really frustrating me because the pointer is going all over the place. It takes me like 10 seconds to attempt to highlight something to copy it. :[

Btw how long did it take you guys to master the art of using the touchpad? lol. Are there any specific settings I should use? Hahaha.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by krzyasian on Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 am

yeah, I use one hand for the mousepad.

I dont know how long it took me to master the mouse pad, haha.. When i had to use my boss's laptop, i guess it took me a week or so to get used to?

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Sat May 02, 2009 12:54 am

Do you rest your thumb on the buttons at all times or does it just... float there until you need to click something? Also, do you use the buttons exclusively, or do you also tap the mousepad to click?
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by krzyasian on Sat May 02, 2009 12:58 am

On the mac, you can't use the mousepad to click and im always tapping my mousepad. It drove me crazy when I would accidently click stuff on my boss's computer.

I rest my thumb on the keys. Holding it up would be tiring xD

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sat May 02, 2009 5:32 am

I use mouse mostly, touchpad frustrate me because it doesn't have the scrolling thing, but I'm alright using the touchpad too, not that fast but can navigate myself lol.

I use index finger to browse around, thumb to press left and right buttons, my thumb naturally sits on the left button, I also tap the touchpad to click, depends on how big the link is I guess. Anyway, I'd use mouse if I can.

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Sat May 02, 2009 1:24 pm

Your touchpad doesn't let you scroll? Are you sure?? Lol I thought all laptops had it.

I have trouble using my thumb to click because everytime I do that, my middle finger twitches and it sends the pointer flying up. So I wind up missing the link -_-
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sat May 02, 2009 11:14 pm

Touchpad has scrollers now?? =o I didn't know!!

lol I don't rest my middle finger on the touchpad, it's doesn't move when I click the buttons with my dumb lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann on Sat May 02, 2009 11:17 pm

I love my mouse!

It's more precise Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Sat May 02, 2009 11:21 pm

waveshell wrote:Touchpad has scrollers now?? =o I didn't know!!

lol I don't rest my middle finger on the touchpad, it's doesn't move when I click the buttons with my dumb lol
Yeah, on the right hand side of the pad. Just move your finger up and down along the right side. It should scroll. lol.

Gah this is so complicated. But I think I'm getting faster now. Haha.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sun May 03, 2009 12:33 am

Yeah, on the right hand side of the pad. Just move your finger up and down along the right side. It should scroll. lol.
where??? only way I can 'scroll' is to click on the arrows on the scrollbar of a website :roll:

Back to top Go down

Post by krzyasian on Sun May 03, 2009 12:36 am

See those lines on the pad? Usually if u put ur finger on one of those lines and follow them with your finger, itll scroll the window. But I think some laptops dont have that xD

krzyasian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Sun May 03, 2009 1:26 am

Yeah my laptop doesn't have the lines, but the ability to scroll is still there. lol. Actually mine can't scroll left and right, but I can scroll up and down.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Sun May 03, 2009 3:40 am

omg I never noticed the lines!! I feel so dumb lol, I have the lines in my new labtop but not the old one. Hey it's not working though, do I need to activate it somewhere?? That'll be so much more convenient

Back to top Go down

Post by iliketobite on Mon May 04, 2009 11:02 am

For the mac, you can scroll down pages using two fingers on pad and moving them up/down, so i usually have my middle finger on the pad as default to navigate the mouse around the page, and when i need to scroll i put my index finger on the pad and just move that to go up and down a page.

I LOVE the mac touchpad. I would use that over a mouse anyday, even if there isn't a right-click button (it's very simple and easy to hold the ctrl button and click on the one button to right-click). I love it because of the function that Kat said, that you can scroll with it by putting two fingers on it.

However I HATE using a touchpad on a Windows or other kind of laptop without that function because I don't like using that scroll line on the right hand side. My brother has a Dell laptop, and it makes me angry when I use it because sometimes when I put my finger on it, it doesn't even work, so I have to redo it and it just causes my blood pressure to raise higher. I would use a mouse for anything other than a mac laptop.

Also if you're worried about the pointer flying everywhere at the slightest movement, you might want to change the sensitivity of the touchpad. I'm sure you can do it somewhere in some Settings folder... I am not sure where it is, but most likely in the control panel.
iliketobite

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Tue May 05, 2009 3:29 am

and it makes me angry when I use it because sometimes when I put my finger on it, it doesn't even work
LOL, change the sensitivity??

I still can't figure out how to activate my scroller =(

Back to top Go down

Post by Oblada on Tue May 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Go to the Control Panel, click on Mouse. Then... dig around and enable scrolling. lol.
Oblada

Back to top Go down

Post by waveshell on Wed May 06, 2009 3:38 am

lol did that, couldn't find =(

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down